Per Section 5, Rule 5 of the CoC, Presidential elections within The Last Outpost occur every year and Serris will have served his second year-long as President come mid-December. Therefore, Internal Affairs will be beginning the Presidential elections process on December 1st.
The President of The Last Outpost has many duties which are summed up pretty well by the CoC:
Section 5 of the Code of Conduct:
1. The President has the power to make day to day operational decisions of the group. The President is also responsible for overseeing all departments and divisions, and making sure that they are meeting their goals and responsibilities. The President has the power to override decisions of a department or division commander.
2. The President has the power to issue Executive Orders to enforce current TLO policy, precedent, and the CoC. Executive Orders may also be used to implement new policy, unless the policy constitutes a major change to the way TLO operates, as defined by the CoC.
3. The President holds the ordinary power of interpreting how current policy, the CoC, rules, etc. apply in a given situation. All members are bound by this interpretation, unless new policy is implemented later. The Cabinet may call a vote to challenge the President’s interpretation, and if it passes by a 2/3rds vote, the interpretation put forward by the Cabinet’s is to be followed, unless new policy is later implemented and approved by the Cabinet.
What does that all mean?
The President is the point person of the community, leading it and spearheading initiatives to move it forward. It's a tough job--there's always a lot to do and many issues to address, but it also can be an immensely rewarding job as it gives you the ability to shape this community and move it forward in the directions you believe are best. If you have the time, energy, vision, and commitment to run this community and meet the minimum qualifications, I encourage you to run for this position. Keep in mind that although sometimes there may not be much to do, at other times, being President can be like having a part-time job! If you have any questions about what this position entails, please don't hesitate to contact me and I’ll be happy to answer your questions.
Who may run for President? (from Section 5, Rule 6 of CoC):
The Office of President is the only position in TLO that has minimum requirements to run, due to the importance of the position and the need for an experienced individual to be at the helm of the community. To be eligible to run for President, a member must have:
1. Served in TLO for 6 months or more
2. Be ranked provisional officer or higher.
3. Understand that any disciplinary actions taken against them in the past year will be published by IA in the candidates Q&A topics.
Here will be the schedule for Presidential elections:
Nominations Open: Friday, December 2nd
Q&A topics open whenever a candidate has been deemed qualified
Nominations Close: Tuesday, December 6th
Election Poll Opens: Thursday, December 8th
Election Poll Closes: Tuesday, December 13th
Runoff Election Poll (if needed): Tuesday, December 13th
Runoff Election Poll Closes (if needed): Friday, December 16th
In the event only one qualified candidate runs for the position, the election poll will be a confirmation vote where more people must vote yea to confirm than nay to disapprove. In the event of a tie in first poll, all individuals who are tied for first place will be subject to a runoff election. Q&A topics will remain open throughout the election cycle.
As I will not be running for the position of President and hold the position of IA head, I will be serving as the moderator for this election. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about the election itself, concerns about posts in the Q&A topics, or the integrity of the polling, please contact me ASAP via private message.
Head of Internal Affairs