02x0A Prelude to War Part 1

Started by Klaw, June 24, 2016, 10:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaw

Date: July 4th, 2155

Rear Admiral Thomas Williams is sitting alone in his office. His elbows resting on the desk are the only item holding the weight of his head, which is planted squarely in both of his palms. The news that just hit him minutes before has driven the head of Starfleet Intelligence to his wit's end. Clutching at straws, the young Admiral begins planning his "Hail, Mary" play without any idea of what he was about to get into.

As the office's communication line buzzed, Tom slowly looked up, and turned to his terminal.

"Yes?" spoke an exasperated and exhausted Williams.

"Admiral, Captain Archer is on the line." Spoke the soothing, British, female voice through the commlink.

"Patch him Through, Daphne."

Tom turned on the monitor, and was instantly greeted by the image of Captain Jonathan Archer, wrapped snuggly in a heavy winter coat. The backdrop was that of an ice covered cave, where the occasional sight of the pale blue antennae of Andorians could be seen over a low wall behind him.

"Jon!"

"Admiral, what can I do for you?" Archer inquired, while fighting the cold and the urge to let his chin quiver in the cold air.

"How are the talks going?" Tom inquired, without any real sincerity behind his question.

"Slow, but I think we've..." Archer paused for a quick chuckle; "...broken the ice."

"Any sign that the ceasefire will hold out?"

"It appears that Shran is very sincere about reuniting the people of Andoria, infact I would say both sides are. Progress is slow, but it's still progress." Archer paused for a moment. He then saw Tom's expression, and a faint impression of tom's hands still glowed red across his face. "I get the feeling, though, you're not calling about the reunification talks."

"Jonathan, I wish I was." Tom sighed. "I'm recalling Enterprise, as of this moment, your ship and crew are now assets for Starfleet Intelligence."

"Understood, What's the trouble?"

"Over the last six months, nine civilian cargo vessels have disappeared in the vicinity of the Sierra Run. Most of this activity was believed to have been the result of some high ionic activity in the area, leading to some intense plasma and ion storm.  Last week, I sent three starships to investigate the ionic buildup and their possible connection to the disappearances. This morning, I woke up to hear the Intrepid's distress call. Captain Ramirez reported three unknown alien vessels attacking the group. They were trying to withdraw when the distress signal stopped cold and at the same time, we lost tracking on them."

Archer's face turned grim and inquisitive. This intriguing and gruesome story obviously peaked some interest.

"Jon, We lost the Intrepid, the Amazon and the Rio Grande. I don't want to lose any more ships. I'm calling for aid from the Vulcans, and if you can get the Andorians in on this too it would be appreciated."

"I think an arrangement can be made with both sides for some cooperation." Archer stated confidently.

"I recalled three more starfleet vessels, the Essex, the Columbia, and Daedalus. The problem is, Columbia and Daedalus may be late to the party as they're on the other side of the quadrant. Still, between the Vulcans, the Andorians, Enterprise and the Essex; you should be able to get a good start before the other two reach you."

"What are my orders?"

"Captain, your orders are to investigate the ionic buildup in the area. Investigate the loss of the ships in the area, including the three missing starfleet vessels, and if possible bring those responsible to justice..." Tom paused for a moment, as the look in his eye changed from one of sadness to one of determination "...by any means necessary." Tom stared with a cold heavy stare; a strong look of resolve overtook his entire demeanour as he gazed into Archer's eyes through the view screen.

"Understood, Admiral" Archer nodded in compliance.

"Good Hunting, Captain. Williams Out."

Daedalus Season 2 will commence Saturday, July 9th at 13:30 EST (17:30 GMT) (18:30 BST)